Camping & hiking season is here and so are the sales! REI has its annual sale from May 21-31 and I’ve put together a guide of some of my favorite gear that’s on sale now. I’ve been hiking/ backpacking/ camping for 6-7 years and only recommend the gear I personally use and love!
**This post is not sponsored which means nobody is paying me to write this for you. This post does include affiliate links which simply means I make a teeny commission off of your orders when you purchase through the links in this blog post, so please support me and shop through my links below and share it with your friends!**
HIKING SHOES & FOOTWEAR
- Ultralight hiking trail shoes: Altra Lone Peak
- Socks 25% off Smartwool socks
- Insoles: 25% off Superfeet – I have the blue all-purpose comfort insoles
- Insulated synthetic jacket: Arc’teryx Atom LT – my fav non-down insulating jacket
- Rain jacket / hardshell: Arc’teryx Zeta SL – good for rain & wind
- 25% off Exped Megamat 10 sleeping pad – for the luxury campers, it feels like you’re literally sleeping on a mattress at home. It’s excessive for the ultralight hiker, but if you’re a car camper that values comfort first… this is for you!!
- Overnight Backpacking Pack: this was the very first one I started with and I still love it – it’s very comfortable and breathable on the back. If you don’t opt for the ultralight backpacking route, this is the pack I’d recommend!
- Water Reservoir/ Bladder – these are convenient sometimes and I’m not a fan of the common Camelbak ones, I like these much better by Osprey for the ease of opening/ closing
- Water bottle: Nalgene – I used to be very anti-Nalgene on hikes and would only use them at home, work, or during my road trips… but I have a newfound appreciation for these in colder camping seasons. 50% off all Nalgenes!
- Satellite/ SOS: Garmin inReach Mini – $50 off!!! Get this if you hike/ backcountry camp often and don’t have one!! Too many accidents happen and this little thing can save your life.
- GPS Watch – I have the Fenix 5s Pro but linking the updated model which has some cooler features such as measuring altitude acclimation and some has solar charging capabilities
Looking for gear that’s not part of the sale? No surprise there.
I have a lot of favorite gear that is NOT on sale or may not even be sold at REI, but REI members get 20% off a full-price item and an extra 20% off an outlet item (with code ANNIV21) so here are some other gear I’d highly recommend, as well as some of my gear guides so you can shop my general pack list 🙂
- Ultralight backpacking pillow: my favorite luxury item weights only 1.6 oz
- Ultralight water filter: my favorite convenient filter weights only 2.3 oz
- 2p ultralight backpacking tent: my favorite backpacking tent for 1 or 2 people weights 2lb 4 oz
- Warmest inflatable sleeping pad for cold sleepers: if you run really cold in the mountains like me, this is for you. Remember that it’s still colder at higher elevation in the summer so I use this pad all year round
- Bear can for food storage: if you’re thru hiking or backpacking in a national park… you need this. If you’re in a national forest, you may be able to get away with a bear bag